All students, including students with I/DD, should be viewed as persons capable of providing information on their needs, wants, and desires. They should be empowered to be active decision-makers and participants in their daily school and community environments and in any processes that could shape their future (i.e., IEP Meetings). IT’S THE STUDENT’S LIFE!
Involvement, Participation & Leadership
A student who is actively engaged in the transition process should:
- Understand and be able to convey their own strengths, weaknesses, and needs;
- Contribute to the development of annual and post-school goals and the plans constructed to achieve those goals;
- Be aware of the resources that are available in the local community that can aid in the transition from school to adult life; and
- Actively serve as an IEP team member.
There are a number of publications available that can assist students in becoming more engaged in the transition process. Four resources are as follows:
- Choicemaker Self-Determination (Sopris West)
- Who’s Future is it Anyway? (Zarrow Center)
- Possible Selves (Edge Enterprises)
- Steps to Self Determination (ProEd)
Did you know?
Providing high quality self-advocacy and self-determination training is a predictor of post-school employment (Test et al., 2009).
Self-determination training includes:
- choice-making skills;
- decision-making skills;
- problem-solving skills;
- goal-setting and attainment skills;
- independence, risk-taking, and safety skills;
- self-observation, evaluation, and reinforcement skills;
(Landmark et al., 2010).
SC Student Engagement Resource Highlight:
Student Engagement Resources
*Materials presented on this site are not intended in any way to be all-inclusive. It is intended to represent only a sampling of what is currently available. Reference to or use of any assessment product, service, or process does not imply recommendation, approval, affiliation, or sponsorship of that product, service, or process by the Center for Disability Resources, the Transition Alliance of SC, or our partnering agencies.