School-based enterprises are simulated learning environments, which provide a unique combination of hands-on training with the structure and supervision available within a school setting, designed to provide students with the opportunity to practice work behaviors, skills, and habits relevant to the real world of work.
*While the resources may have been vetted by experts in the field, the South Carolina Department of Education, Office of Special Education Services, in no way requires the use of any of the resources provided, nor their purchase. These resources are for informational purposes only and should not be construed as an endorsement of any views, organization, product, company, or program by the South Carolina Department of Education.
Benefits of School-Based Enterprises:
- Provides leadership opportunities to students
- Provides training in a safe environment
- To assist students in understanding the relevance of academic skills to vocational tasks
- Engages students in starting and operating a business
- Stresses personal responsibility, group problem-solving and decision making
- Teaches work ethic and other soft skills
- Promotes the importance of academics in the work setting
- To provide opportunities to develop integrated school-to-work programs for students with and without disabilities.